Favorite Words

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Editing is Finished. For now.

I've spent the last several days industriously editing the living hell out of two different manuscripts. I completely reedited an older project, as well as the one on submission, in case I decided to query for it again one day.

And then, as though mandated by fate, an agent Tweeted that she was looking for my novel. And not just any agent; an agent I really liked based on what I'd read about her.

Well, okay. She didn't use my name, or the title of my book, and until I queried her she had no idea I existed, but it nonetheless felt like she was saying "Hey, Andrea. This is what I want in a novel. Got anything for me?"

And, wonder of wonders, yes I did. A newly reedited version of my paranormal romance for young adults.

I love that novel so much it makes my stomach knot up. I love it so much, in fact, I've already put about 200 hundred hours of writing into the sequel. And roughly outlined the third in the trilogy. It was a story that caught me by the throat and hasn't let go yet.

I mean, I love my mystery that's on submission right now. But I always knew it was going to be a stand-alone. Knowing the romance was meant to be at least a trilogy made me connect more readily with the characters. I knew a LOT that happened to them. I just fell in love with them and everything they were going to go through. I sobbed my way through writing the ending of the first book.

Sigh.

Now it's time to write and wait. Write and hope.

I find it encouraging, though, that even if she rejects my work, I'd still want to take her out for a drink and talk writing. At least that lets me know she's the type of agent I'd want if she decides she wants me. And I think that's a really important thing to take into consideration.

That brings the grand total of agents about whom I've thought "I could hang out with them" to three.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a best friend. I can't imagine any agent in the world would want or expect that from a client, nor should a client want or expect it from their agent. But the working relationship would probably be better if, in another time and different situation, your agent would be someone you could drink wine and discuss books with.

There has to be some basic underpinning of common interests and personalities, I would think, or the act of working together would just suck.

All three of the agents I've felt a glimmer of Okay, she's really a fantastic chick for currently have my work. I don't know if a rejection from someone I genuinely like would be easier or harder to deal with.

I'm hoping I never have to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I really connected with this post because it's the story of my life right now ...

    The part where you said: "I love that novel so much it makes my stomach knot up. I love it so much, in fact, I've already put about 200 hundred hours of writing into the sequel. And roughly outlined the third in the trilogy. It was a story that caught me by the throat and hasn't let go yet." <-- THIS IS ME TOO :-)

    I'm working on several WIPs right now, but there is one ms in particular that I deeply love and want to see published so bad I can hardly stand it. So I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete