Favorite Words

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Saturday, June 26, 2010

I Adore Shoes. Really.

Teachers usually have the most comfortable footwear in the professional world. This is because while we do have those handy 'teacher desks', we don't use them as much more than a catchall for papers. Literally, my students--all 577 of them--signed the fabric bottom and back of my chair this year and I've never once worried about the marker rubbing off on my arse...because my arse and my chair are only friendly acquaintances. Familiar with each other to a degree that, if they were people, their association would rank nothing more than a smile and nod in passing.

I am not quite able to come to grips with the logic of sensible shoes. I just can't. I need good shoes. I need heels and suede boots and peep-toes. Good shoes and Pepsi=contented writer/teacher.

Today I was going through my shoes and found my absolute favorite pair of non-boot shoes. Plaid, pleated around their sweet little peep-toes, with 4 and 1/2 inch stiletto heels. Pink, black, white, silver, with a thin vein of teal. Such good shoes.

They're statement shoes; so eye-catching, in fact, the last time I broke them out of their box I wore them with black capris, a blank tank, and a black shrug. I didn't want anything to distract from The Shoes.

Also after the last time I wore them, I couldn't feel my right big toe for three full weeks. I could have stabbed it, run over it, or set it ablaze without feeling a darn thing. I know this is true because I stubbed it on a door frame and the only sensory proof I had was the sight of the big bruise. The bruise I never felt. Because my toe was profoundly numb.

I can't wait to wear them again. I figure if my toe falls off this time the problem has pretty much solved itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment